BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Monday, March 05, 2007

80's Preservation Society

The Champaign chapter of the 80's Preservation Society is alive, well, and working hard with local youth to keep the 80's spirit going. Today, one day before Illinois State Achievement Tests were to begin, I showed an episode of "Growing Pains" in my class. The episode is called Standardized Test, is from season 1, and deals with the fact that Mike is afraid to try on the Idaho State Achievement Test. (Both ISAT. Coincedence? I think not!) Students in every class laughed at the Seavers' antics. But the best part is this: in my two afternoon classes, where thug wannabes reign supreme, I heard several kids yell out: " 'Growing Pains!?' Oh, that's my show!" I could not believe it! It was positively aresome! Yes, you read it correctly: ARESOME! We even managed to have some quality discussion on how important it is to be proud of how we are all smart in our own, unique ways, and that the most important part of the ISAT is trying. (Aren't I great?)

The 80's Preservation Society, which was founded in 1998 by Catherine and myself, was very proud of the amazing strides taken today to bridge the 80's with today's youth. We really want to thank Nick @ Nite for airing "Growing Pains" nightly at 9:30/8:30. The kids knew the show from Nick, and we sincerely hope that they continue showing high quality programming like "GP." However, we want to put in a personal suggestion that they start showing a wider variety of old classics and newer favorites. How bout some Donna Reed, Patty Duke, and Ozzie & Harriet? If these shows could be shown chronologically each night, along with more recent hits, such as "GP," "Rosanne," and "Full House," I think we could all be in for some dynamic family programming. Now remind me again why I'm not in charge?

2 Comments:

Blogger jacob said...

here, here! Can I get a little Lassie up on there? Maybe some Dennis the Menace? (Original Mr. Wilson, please) That's great that the kiddies had love for the GP.

I don't like the theme song they've been showing lately... it has this crazy octave jump in it (know what I'm talking about?)-- shoots up to the heavens all of a sudden.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words- Dobie Gillis.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home