BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Band of the Day

It's raining. It's sleeting. It's icing. It's gross outside. So the perfect place for me is inside...with the Band of the Day!The Band of the Day at BingBongBoom is none other than our favorite, Pearl Jam. (Isn't that picture from Kendra delicious? Listen to Eddie when he speaks to you!) We here at BBB have been faithful Pearl Jam followers since 1991, and they are truly like a close friend. They're great company on days like this, and they are also great driving music. Our goal today is to run through the Pearl Jam catalog of studio albums in reverse. Right now "Parachutes" plays from the other room as I type. With the insane amount of work I have to do today, it shouldn't be a problem to see this goal come to fruition.

I don't know where to start with Pearl Jam. What can you say about this band that refuses to go away (thank goodness for that)? Any words I try to come up with will sound trite. Reviewers don't like it when they vear off their own beaten path, saying "Pearl Jam" was a welcome return to their oldest cuts on albums like "Ten" and "Vs." But all I can say is I've enjoyed everything they've produced. I admit that some of the tracks on "Vitalogy" were a little hard for me to swallow ("Aye Davanita" and "Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me"), but their diversity and experimentation are things that allow bands to expand, grow, and become stronger musicians. Even though some of the experimental cuts aren't my favorite, I appreciate what they allow Pearl Jam to do.

All I have to say is this: If you thought Pearl Jam was a mere "grunge/Seattle band," you couldn't have been more wrong in your minimalization of this amazing quintet. They grow stronger with each passing album. And, if you are someone who appreciates music and haven't checked out "Riot Act" or "Pearl Jam" then shame on you. Almost time for "Riot Act," so I will leave you to ruminate on my mediocre words about my favoritist band ever. And get those last two CD's!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say about this blog? It was so Eddie.

Several years ago, after the movie Swingers came out, my dad and I decided to make up our own version of "money," the adjective everyone seemed to be using- post Swingers. We decided a great word to use to describe something that is really, really cool would be Eddie, considering all of the cool guys named Eddie that we knew. Vedder, Van Halen, Murphy, Money, Munster (ok, I may have been reaching on those last ones). I think the use of this word is particularly applicable in this situation.

That blog was sooo Eddie.

5:46 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

That's awesome. I don't think I knew that. Eddie definitely applies to Money, but Murphy's on my list as of yet. Norbit? Really? I bet he cried in his pilla last night when he lost to Old Man Arkin. :)

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home