BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Olympic Memory #4

You probably knew I'd get around to them.  If you're smart, I mean.  You should know that this gal couldn't do a gallery of Olympic memories without THEM.

They are the stuff of legend.  They are the best team in history.  They are wrapped in mythos, grandeur, and dare I say it, hype.  Pomp and circumstance probably should've been their theme.  

They are the DREAM TEAM.


11 professional basketball players and 1 epic college legend.  Mixed together, shaken well, and poured in time for the 1992 Olympic games in Barcelona.  I can't say much about them that hasn't already been said.  

I just [Kindle] purchased Jack McCallum's historic account of the team, aptly entitled Dream Team.  It's the first sports book I've ever purchased, and it is excellent so far.  To be honest, I don't remember watching them much.  I remember the hype, the build up, and EVERY young man I went to school with talking about them.  The games were boring: winning by 40, 50, 60  points.  The games they played were walks in the park for them.  In fact, for all of their greatness, they killed within me my joy and passion for supporting professional athletics.  So full of themselves (MOST of them), so many feelings of entitlement, and the constant talk of "the greatest team of all time" made them an eyesore of those Games for me.

But, the mere mention of them bring back memories of NBA players before bling and body art.  It brings back memories of the NBA before it was just a business.  It brings back memories of my early 90s Bulls.  So, in the end...I guess they are alright for a trip down memory lane.  Oh, and the pictures of them cannot be beat. 


1 Comments:

Anonymous Jo Mama said...

Yeah - there they are - fun thoughts - they were boring - rather watch them than current players. The were the beginning of the "Age of Entitlement" and it's spiraled out of control since then.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home