BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Go EASY on Me

I remember in high school that a good friend and I scoffed loudly and longly (yep, just made up another one) at another girl who had "just discovered" The Breakfast Club.  This was fall '94, and well, to be honest, we had just begun to seriously quote and reference it a year earlier, but REALLY.  Just getting into a John Hughes classic...in 1994?  Shameful.  That girl we scoffed at, who was an entire year OLDER than us, deserved our reprimands...didn't she?  In our opinion, definitely.  Now, however, as a mother of two, a full-time teacher 9 1/2 months out of the year, and a wife who does her best to care for her hubby and her house, I am now THAT girl.

I just--FINALLY--got to view Easy A, and YES, I did fall even more in love with Emma Stone*.   I know!  I didn't think it was possible either, but I totally did.  I also discovered that I want my hubs and I to parent like Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson, but that's another post all together.  Wait, maybe it isn't: I LOVE THEM SO MUCH, TOO!  Oh, Stanley Tucci, you're amazing: I love your face almost as much as Emma Stone's.  Patricia Clarkson, I love you down to your toes, too...even in Simply Irresistible you were, well, irresistible. 



Back to the film...So witty.  So clever.  So sad and way too true to life...I hate rumors and drama and peer pressure...even more so, since I see it wreak havoc on my students' lives.  I also love that the film draws upon one of my favorite pieces of classical literature, because unlike everyone else I've ever talked to, I actually really enjoy the Scarlet Letter.  What else did I enjoy?  Two more things...quick like, cause I bet you've already stopped reading: 1) the endless references to 80s classics.  Thank you for keeping John Hughes alive!  2) The boring weekend montage, cause even though I love being where I am in life with my beautiful family, I totally miss boring teenage weekends all by myself being stupid and doing stupid things.  

So, scoff at me.  Reprimand me.  Make fun of me, cause I just saw this new teen classic.  That's okay with me.  I'm too old to care, but I'm not too old to stop appreciating cinematic greatness...even if it does take me years to catch up with it.  Hey, Ms. Stone doesn't care.  She's giving me the thumbs up. 




*I still don't think I can see Spiderman, though.  I wasted time sitting through boring Tobey Maguire, and I'm still pissed I lost those hours in my life.  So, even though this cast is much hotter and more talented, I don't think I can sit through it...well, maybe if popcorn is involved... 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home