BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Why I SUCK at Being a Mom

I love movies and TV.  So much.  Movies are a huge part of my life.  Some of my earliest memories are of my dad letting me skip my nap, and then getting to watch film classics with him, like the Blues Brothers.  And, he was never one for censorship: Bachelor Party, Porky's, and Poltergeist were all movies I viewed way before I should have.  One reason I love going on the elliptical is because I get to re-watch seasons of my favorite shows: Flight of the Conchords, Smallville, Gilmore Girls, Twin Peaks, and the list goes on and on to keep me fit. 

Because I love these visual medias so much, I really am beginning to suck at being a mom.  My son comes out of his room in the morning, and the first thing he does is to run for the kitchen to get some juice.  Oh, well, that's okay, you say...until he gets his juice and makes a bee-line for the DVD shelf, gesturing frantically at Despicable Me or any Toy Story.  I know I shouldn't let him do this first thing in the morning, but the utter and pure joy on his face when I tell him he can "push the button" is so so SO adorable that I can't say  no.  He then scuttles over to the couch (after opening the Blu-Ray, of course), pulls himself up, and makes some of the most amazingly awesome gurgles and spastically flays his arms in glee.  Oh, and then when that FBI warning pops up, he knows the show is really on!  It's about to go down, yo!  Gru and his minions or Buzz, Woody, & the Gang are about to light up his life.  



Lil Girl is the same way with anything Disney: Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Little Einsteins, or Doc McStuffins.  Her face BEAMS when she is given the chance to pick which to view. 

I know.  I know.  I'm a teacher.  I LOVE to read.  I love reading them books.  They do like books too--one of Alba's favorite games is playing Library in her room, when we read lots of books before bedtime--but there is something just so magical about a wonderful movie.  They both have discovered the joy of movies and TV...maybe a little too early...maybe I should've derailed this love...but I just couldn't, and there's no going back now.  Hey, Rory Gilmore ended up okay after being raised on cult classics and made-for-TV movies.  I mean she DID get into Yale, so I'm sure mine will be alright, too...right???


2 Comments:

Anonymous Jo Mama said...

Uh, I think you turned out loving books and loving movies - I think it's called loving imagination displayed. You pretty much do NOT suck as a Mom.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Murray said...

You've got great kids. Why? Because they're being brought up well. You're a great mom.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home