BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Sunday, August 05, 2012

Olympic Memory #3

We're going to travel back to 1988 again in the ole DeLoreon to discuss two Olympic ladies.  One participated in the Seoul games, and one inspired the Olympians, and millions watching at home. 

Flo.  Jo.  Florence Griffith Joyner.  I was completely taken aback.  I've never been much of a track and field fan, even through all of my Olympics watching, but I was smitten with her.  I was 8 1/2 when these Games aired, and my young girl fashion sense was in awe of this bold, blazing runner.  Her awesome fly away hair.  Her sweet one-legged suit.  Oh, and how could we forget her nails?  Outstanding.  I was more impressed with her fashion...true...for this is what stood out to me, and it still does to this day. 



And, what about the divine Miss Whitney?  She was one of my childhood heroes: I was someone who loved to sing, and I was completely taken with Whitney Houston's voice since her debut album.  Her Olympic anthem, One Moment in Time, inspired me to want to achieve greatness, and whenever I hear it, even now, I puddle up at the hope the words bring me.  I am pretty sure it inspired many Olympians that year and those watching around the world.  I played it for my daughter when the Games started last week, and she loves listening to it.  She sings along with it in the car, will burst out the lyrics at random times around the house,  and she loves dancing to it.  It warms my heart seeing her get attached to the music I was attached to growing up...and it makes me cry even more when I hear her sing those lyrics of inspiration. 


1 Comments:

Anonymous Jo Mama said...

Couldn't have picked two better ladies for Olympic Memory #3 (and memory-making with Alba)!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home