BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Olympic Memory #1

Summer of 1984.  The Olympics were taking place in a far off exotic land called Los Angeles.  My parents claimed that was in America.  I was 4 1/2...who was I to question?  But the fact that something as great and grand as this could take place in the same country where I lived baffled my young mind.

It was a sunny day.  I was sitting on our awesome brown and blue floral print couch.  (That couch was sufficiently 70s and sufficiently itchy.  It always scratched my legs.)  Gymnastics were on.  I recall vividly watching Mary Lou Retton go round and round the gym.  She made my young mouth drop open.  I loved her leotard.  I loved her cute, short hair.  The twists and turns she did sent my imagination soaring.  Oh!  What it must be like to fly through the air and land with complete perfection.  I was hooked: with the Olympics and with her.  



The grandeur of the games was, and still is, something awesome and wonderful, and I still love watching them to this day.  Diving of all sorts, synchronized swimming, water polo, and swimming...oh, the amazing feats these athletes perform in the water.  Gymastics.  Awe inspiring and beautiful.  The shared respect between [most] athletes makes you wonder: Why can't we just all get along all the time, like we do when the rainbow rings are flying above our heads?

Hooray for the Olympics!  I'm gonna go watch some more.  Who knows?  Maybe wee girl will form her first Olympic memory this year. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jo Mama said...

Yes, wee girl will surely form some memories. Remember when Bonnie Blair skated to all those medals? For one race, you were at Aqua Chiefs practice and all of us were cheering her. That was probably right before they got the whatever out of the closet that you had to sell, and I thought "Not so much, Aqua Chiefs; don't want my kids here anymore."

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home