BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Another Gone Too Soon


Several years ago I made a mix CD called "Whitney...Before Bobby." Since all the Whitney I owned was either on vinyl or cassette, I went through the public library's CD collection and got all the pre-Bobby Brown Whitney I could. The CD is still one of my favorites. It speaks volumes for the electrifying, uplifting, luminescent singer that is Whitney Houston.

She is who I wanted to be. As a girl growing up in the 80s who loved to sing, I know I wasn't alone in idolizing her. She was beautiful, extremely talented, and back then humble. Like too many others, she became a victim of her talent: she was labeled as a diva, got involved with grandiose movies, and tried to uphold an image that did not become her (in my humble opinion). Glimpsing headlines of her tumultuous and abusive relationship with Bobby Brown made me sigh in despair for my once idol.

But here's the deal, people: her voice can still give me goosebumps, her National anthem can still move me to tears, and I can thank God for the small gift of being able to hear, embrace, and celebrate her talent. It is still undeniable. Her end was too soon and too tragic, for she should have been a living legend for years to come. Let hers be a cautionary tale to get those you love who are struggling with drugs, abuse, or addiction help. For she should have still been great.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jo Mama said...

Beautifully said, Amanda. Whitney's "One Moment In Time" was way too brief.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home