BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Friday, June 26, 2009

I Almost Forgot What the "M" Stood For

Thanks to Michael Jackson's untimely passing, MTV is doing something they haven't done in, oh I'd say 15 years:

SHOWING MUSIC* VIDEOS.

Last night when my lovely daughter woke me up for a midnight feeding, I literally screamed, "Ohmygosh! 'Liberian Girl!'" Husband almost fell out of the bed, and I almost peed my pants. Do you know how long it's been since I've s
een "Liberian Girl"!?! Have you ever seen it??? It's Michael's best unknown video, which showcases such talents as Olivia Hussey (YES! Juliet!), John Travolta (with a mullet), Olivia Newton-John, a tap dancing Mayim Bialik (pre-Blossom fame), Dan Aykroyd (on a Harley), STEVEN SPIELBERG, and, my silvery favorite, Ricky Schroder. The list could go on and on and on. The plot is, all of these superstars are waiting around to be in Michael's video, but THEY are the video, cause he's directing. Oh, it's rich. Try to find it on the interwebs, cause you'll have so much fun naming everybody.

Anyway...it just got better...


Minutes ago MTV actually showed, in full, "We Are the World." Talk about goosebumps and tears. Both came simultaneously. It still looked as good as it did in 1985. Talk about '80's powerhouses: Kenny Rogers (handsome and pre-knife), Steve Perry, Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis, Kenny Loggins, James Ingram, Kim Carnes--holla if you remember these people, cause they molded my youth. (And, speaking of Aykroyd, WHY is he in this again? Did Quincy and Michael love his singing voice? Something I've wondered since I was five.)

I think it's time to bust out some vinyl, so I'm going to be on my way...for now. I'm also gonna sit by the TV til I can see "Liberian Girl" again. If they only play it at 12:33 a.m., I'm gonna be ticked.

*Yes, the "M" stands for music. I wonder how many tweens know that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home