BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscar Sunday

It's here! Another Oscar Sunday! Yippee! Here at BBB!, Oscar Sunday is right up there with Christmas and Thanksgiving. To celebrate, I'm going to view a couple of past Oscar favorites and have a small gathering tonight. On the viewing menu today? "Walk the Line" and "Coal Miner's Daughter." What is it about country superstars that make such amazing films???

As you all know by now, "Coal Miner's Daughter" is one of my all time favorites. Sissy Spacek's 1981 Oscar for Best Actress was well deserved. The more recent bio-pick, "Walk the Line," has also become a personal favorite in recent years. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are intoxicating onscreen, and it's hard to look away from the screen when this is on. Perhaps the best part about both of these films is that the lead actors all lend their own vocals to the original songs, and their covers are some of the best ever recorded. On some tracks I even prefer their covers to the originals. (Shhhh! Don't tell Joseph I said that about Johnny Cash!)

I do have to admit I haven't done my studying for this year's big show: all I've seen are "The Wrestler," "Tropic Thunder," and "Dark Knight." I'll still give my all for the ballot contest, because there is a trophy this year! (Thanks, Lisa and and Andrew!) I have to say, I'll be disappointed if Mickey O'Rourke doesn't win. That film was awesome! Hope you have fun watching, and hope my kiddies forgive me for not grading their papers this weekend. (Like I said, this is almost like a holiday for me. We shouldn't be having school tomorrow.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home