BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Makin' Me a Mix CD

No, it's not as good as a mix TAPE, but still fun to do. I have no grading today, have been playing nice with our most difficult girls at school and getting them to work, and have nothing to do until LOST comes on. Sooooooooo I'm makin' a mix CD.

I love mixes. They're the best. Unfortunately my short attention span that lingers in my increasingly ADD mind can rarely listen to an entire CD from opening track to closing. The variety my iPod shuffle lends me has been invaluable. In this age of iPod mania, it's still nice to make an old fashioned mix and not rely on the shuffle.

It truly is an art to make an awe inspiring mix. You must have the proper balance of love-anger-hope-loathing- empathy-etc. If you love the art of mixing as much as I do, check out this book MIX TAPE:the art of cassette culture (above right). The book looks at and revels in the history of the mix TAPE. It's true that the mix CD just isn't as good: it doesn't make noise when you jiggle it, you can't get frustrated trying to rewind to repeat the song, and you definitely can't get the DJ cutting off the end of the song when you record it off the radio. Seriously, check out the book. It's a great gift for anyone who's ever made a mix tape.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually just purchased a book called "This is Your Brain on Music, " which looks at why we like the kinds of music that we do and explores what makes a perfect mix, etc. I'm excited to find out why I've been hopelessly devoted to one Mr. Ettie Vetter since I was 12 years old. I really hope this book can shed some light on my addiction. But remember- the first step is admitting you have a problem. P.S. Tell Thurston Moore that I want my money back for sitting through he and his wife's 45 minutes of guitar feedback in Memphis in 2000. Ass.

3:41 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

Well, the book is still nifty. True the set up is a bit pretentious (shaped like a huge cassette tape), but I didn't even know he was that guy. I try to ignore people I don't like; in this case I didn't even know his name. Guess I shan't buy this one then. I'll just flip through it a book store and make it's edges all grimy and gross...then no one will want to give him money.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home