BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Goddesses in My Country

Jem is truly outrageous. Truly, truly, TRULY outrageous!!!!

I love Jem! At one point, I almost loved Jem more than I loved Barbie. Her show was the best thing to unwind to after a tough day in 2nd and 3rd grades. (Man, it was hard learning how to do cursive and multiplication!) Jerrica/Jem had the best wardrobes EVER. I loved Jerrica's timeless bob, but I also revelled in Jem's rebel pink 'do. Jem and the Holograms' songs were to die for, too. They spoke of true love's triumphs and struggles. It was like she was speaking for me...if I had had a boyfriend at age 8 (I suppose Ricky Schroder and Kirk Cameron didn't count).

I still own a few of their cassettes; a new one came with each doll you purchased (or, um, each doll your parents bought for you). The Jem dolls were bigger than Barbie dolls, so you always had to choose who you were going to play with on any particular day. Jem was too tall to date Ken. Sometimes you could pull off Barbie dating Rio, but his head was larger than her chest, so it was a bit awkward. I was allowed to get the Glitter and Gold Jem and Rio; that was it I think. My parents probably thought I, sorry again, THEY, invested too much into Barbie to switch products, and they were ultimately right. I still loved playing with my Jem doll, though. And do you know what the absolute, most fantabulous part was??? There was a switch on her back to turn on her earrings. "Showtime, Synergy!"

Jem, you still are truly outrageous, glamour, excitement, fashion, AND fame. You are one of the goddesses of Manna Country, because of the above reasons. You were also the best alter ego ever, doing tons of selfless acts and benefit concerts for the foster kids at the Starlight Foundation. The only thing we are upset about in Mannaland, and we're sorry we can't change this, is the Jem DVD sets have already been put out of print. I was going to supply you with a link to amazon to buy them, but the cheapest you can get them is $99.99. I'm so glad I still have my VHS copies from Blockbuster!

1 Comments:

Blogger jacob said...

...we are the misfits, our songs are bitter. We are the misfits, (the misfits) and we're gonna get her!

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home