BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Monday, August 28, 2006

13 Episodes of Glory


I still don't think I have the right words to discuss the topic of this entry with any validity other than adoration. Tomorrow is the day the final season of "one of the greatest comedies in the history of television" (Amazon.com, Editorial Review, Bret Fetzer) is released on DVD. "Arrested Development" Season 3 will be released in its puny entirety (only 13 episodes).

I will confess now that I missed much of the last season. Just like when I heard "Freaks and Geeks" was going to get the ax, I lived in denial. I missed the last four episodes of "Freaks and Geeks" when it originally aired, and I believe I missed the last six of "Arrested Development." Am I ashamed of this? Yes. Do I blame myself for cancellation? No. FOX made up their minds a long time before this one viewer retreated into her closet of denial and despair. From the outset of Season 3, they cut down their order from 24 to 21, then down to 18, finally calling for a pitiful 13 episode run.

Nothing's going to bring this show back, but maybe that's the way it was supposed to be. If you watch the Jason Bateman clip on Amazon, he says that he knew the show wouldn't last. Let's face it: I knew the show wouldn't last, too. It's far too clever, too advanced, if you allow me to reference Klosterman's theory again, for most people to get, let alone understand and appreciate. Bateman's hangdog character, who tries everything in his power to keep the family that walks all over him together, is an homage to James Stewart's Mr. Smith or George Bailey, if you ask me. Maybe that's why I loved the show so much: it beckoned to an era of unselfishness that is not known in our society today.

In "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation," Clark W. Griswold is referred to as "the last true family man," but if you ask me, Michael Bluth owns this persona better than any fictional character ever created. His neverending quest to bind his rag-tag, money-hungry family together gives new meaning to the word perseverance. It's also breathtaking and reassuring that a man like that would still exist in a Hollywood script. If you still haven't, please check out this short-lived masterpiece. Pay attention to the wonderfully smooth narration that becomes a part of the script and dialogue, never detracting from either. Look out for some of the quirkiest and best supporting characters ever penned in television history. George Constanza and Kosmo Kramer ain't got nothin' on GOB and Buster Bluth. Finally, don't forget to note perhaps the most skin-crawlingly accurate portrayal of teenage awkwardness and loyalty to one's father (he really didn't have to wear those shirts, did he?) ever filmed in George Michael Bluth, Michael's obedient and caring son. You'll also be impressed with all the other supporting characters, sub-plots, and guest stars along the way (Liza Minelli with vertigo? CLASSIC!). Enjoy!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger jacob said...

I agree. Awesome show. Maybe it's good you missed the last six, as you now can enjoy them for the first time on quality DVD as if they were new.

PS- Emmy's were a snooze. Marisha Bargitay as I like to call her(that's a combo between Mischa Barton and Mariska Hargitay) looked all right (though Jared didn't like the hair and said she had "big arms." Guess it's only a matter of time before Rosie starts hosting these thangs again:-)

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home