BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Illusionist vs. The Prestige

In probably the most random trend in recent movie history, two magician films are coming out in the next coming months. Now, I've had my Houdini and Copperfield phases, so I'm really excited about one of these films. Unfortunately, I think the other one looks like rubbish.

"The Illusionist" will hit theatres first; this Friday in selected cities and nationwide September 1. Not to give my opinion away too early, but this one looks like it's coming out first to cash in on the nostalgia of this trend. (Read between the lines: It looks terrible.) The previews have been playing pretty hot and heavy on the TV, but the plot looks weak and uninteresting. (Or that uninteresting aspect may just be the presence of Jessica Biel.) I'm not sure of the director, either, but it's from the producers of "Sideways" and "Crash," so it must be good?



"The Prestige," on the other hand, has a lot of things going for it. You've got Christopher Nolan at the helm, the mastermind behind "Memento" and director of the Dark Knight's return, "Batman Begins." You also have an absolutely STELLAR cast: Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, and DAVIDfrickin'BOWIE! It also has a thing very important to a movie, which the other Houdini-esque film lacks: plot. It looks intriguing and exciting. There is one downer of the plot, though. Bale tries to take over Jackman's popularity and magic empire, with illusions that are increasingly difficult. In "The Illusionist," Paul Giamatti and Edward Norton try to match wits with new illusions. This makes "The Prestige" look like the poser, but my vote still goes to "The Prestige."

Basically, it comes down to this, folks: Christian Bale & Hugh Jackman vs. Eddie Norton. No contest for me. You be the judges, though. Check out the trailer links below.

"The Illusionist" trailer
"The Prestige" trailer

(Trust me, stick with the Bale and Jackman.)

2 Comments:

Blogger jacob said...

Neither I nor Jared had heard of The Prestige, and that's huge because he knows his movies! You are right, though. Think I'll skip the Illusionist. When will there be a movie about d. cop, though:-)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

I think there is one major oversight here... Which film has the hotter cast??? This plays a huge part in my movie-going, along with the storyline obviously. Luckily, I think The Prestige wins here for both categories! Yay, I can't wait!

Love,
Jared

P.S. Now head on over to 5 Acts and check out some new music.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home