BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Wowee-Wow-Wow


As I type, I am watching the Roast of the Shat on Comedy Central. Farrah Fawcett has just made another mind-boggling performance as a drunken, high, I-don't-know-where-the-shizzle-I-am-has-been. This makes me sad, because this night is supposed to be about the Shat, one of the most influentially talented actors and song interpretists of our time. This show isn't supposed to about another Fawcett-style meltdown.

Seriously, folks, I think I may want to take this time to follow George Takei's lead and come out. I think what my husband has always wished, hoped, and prayed for may have come true: I'm becoming a Trekkie. I've started to gain more respect for the "Star Trek" franchise: I've been watching the movies, viewing the Original Series, and learning much too much about Star Trek lore and episodic aliens. But, I'm also starting to enjoy it. I even have a favorite character, Dr. McCoy (or, Bones). At the beginning of each episode, I ask Martin if it's a Bones episode, and if it isn't I get a little disappointed. As we are watching the Original Series, we've also started to tread in the deep, murky waters of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (or, DS9), which I've been assured gets really good at the end of Season 2.

Anyway, I'm out; I'm a Trekkie albeit in my infant stages. My brother is so upset about this he can't see straight. I, however, find it liberating to let you all know. OK, I still love making fun of it, but Martin does, too, so it must be okay. Also, how could you watch those stunning late-60's sci-fi sound stages and not rip 'em apart? (Or, Shatner's acting for that matter?) It can't be done. So, in good humored fun, I advise you to not be a hater; give it a shot. Try out the Trek, for you might be liberated soon, too. You'll be watching one of Canada's most famous sons in what was really one of the most ground-breaking shows in television history. And, I'm not just saying that as a newly-minted Trekkie; I'm saying that as a self-proclaimed TV historian, who has spent hours and HOURS studying series, mini-series, and even commercials.

Two more things:
1. I really think you should follow that Comedy Central link above for some seriously funny Shatner roasts. I think I wet myself twice whilst watching.
2. Get more AWESOME "Star Trek" Inspirational Posters here. They are high-larious.

1 Comments:

Blogger jacob said...

I watched a few of Betty White's scandalous moments and had to tape the full roast. I like Lisa Lampanelli, too.

Hmmm... trekkie, eh. those old ones were good.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home