BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Make a Little Birdhouse...at Allerton

It's been over a month since a post, y'all, which could mean only ONE thing: the school year has started!  Between all the standardized testing, benchmark testing, beginning of year meetings, and more testing, I've hardly had time to even start my curriculum.  (For those of you who are teachers, you could probably imagine how frustrating this could be.)  THEN, last week, the first week I was able to really concentrate on curriculum, I got sick, AND we had a field trip!  

But, on this field trip, one of the best conversations I have ever heard between two 11-year-olds took place.

We were in nature, at Allerton Park, in lovely Monticello, IL.  I was in charge of the hay rack ride, where we drove students around the woods and out to the beautiful, awe inspiring Sun Dancer statue--about a 30 minute ride.  During one of the rides, all of sudden behind me I hear a young chap start singing, "Not to put too fine a point on it/Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet..." And, THEN, another voice joins in, "MAKE A LITTLE BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL!!!"



Boy 1: I LOVE They Might Be Giants!
Boy 2: Yeah, me, too.  I like their earlier stuff better, though.
Boy 1: They released a studio album last year.  It's good.  My dad took me to see them in Wisconsin.  They were awesome.
Boy 2: Aw, man!  I'd LOVE to see them.
Me, turning around to face them: You both just earned an unequivocal A+ for the remainder of the year.
Both Boys, in unison: AWESOME!!!!



6th graders NEVER cease to amaze me.  :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home