BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

2 Men--2 Pianos--2 Hours




Have you ever stopped to think how lucky and blessed you are to be able to hear? A bird chirping early in the morning...your breath hustling in and out of your lungs as you run...a baby's overflowing, joyous giggle...music, sweet music, tickling your eardrums.



A couple of weeks ago, I was again reminded what amazing gifts hearing and listening can truly be. I had the opportunity, thanks to my husband's constant know-how and wherewithall to unselfishly be aware of things I love, to be entertained by Mandy Patinkin and Nathan Gunn. Yes, Inigo Montoya and one of opera's most sought-after baritones entertained my lobes for almost two consectutive hours. The best part? It was in our backyard: ten minutes away at the University of Illinois' wonderful Krannert Center.



It was simple, glorious, and breathtaking. I've never heard such amazing renditions of the Music Man, Sondheim, and traditional American fold songs live. I've listened to Patinkin for years on CD, but live? Never...and next to Patti LuPone, he's the most energizing vocal artist I've had the pleasure of hearing. And, Nathan Gunn!?! Oh, my. He came to my high school choir class when I was 17, and I forgot how rich and superb and exhilarating his voice is.



Yes, I was blessed. Yes, it's important to thank God for even the most ordinary things. After that evening, I thanked him for this sense, that so many take for granted. Check them both out ASAP:


1 Comments:

Anonymous Jo Mama said...

Kristin, especially, understands the gift of hearing with clarity. You do, too. Glad you were able to have these moments of joy!

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home