BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Mama Street Cred


I've been blessed to be a mother now for almost three years. I love it. Every second. Probably what I love most is sharing books and music with my babes. I love reading them the stories I grew up with and discovering new ones that they love. I also love dancing around to the music I love. Yes, I'm totally bringing them up in a world of 80s pop and Beatles greatness, but there are worst things I could be doing.

But I don't think I really, truly felt like a certified mum until two nights ago, when our daughter woke up caked in vomit. My husband took the sheets to soak, gave the babe a bath, and then I took over for the rest of the night. We lay in the spare bed, and thank goodness she didn't have her first vomit experience until she could talk, for every time she needed to throw up again, she would yell, "BUCKET!" I held her hair back, comforted her as best I could, and we spent the night tossing and turning together. (Did I mention my husband and I were both sick with vomiting and diarrhea, too? Cause we were.) However, focusing on her lessened my sickness: I was wholly intent on her getting better.

As a girl deathly afraid of throwing up--I refused to throw up between the ages of 12 and 26, and I was crushed when that streak ended--this evening shows how truly devoted one can be as a parent. I always told my husband, "If the kids are throwing up, you're taking over." But God grants us with even the most mundane of super powers, and for me this--sitting up with my daughter and smelling vomit all night--was a super power.

I love my babes so much, and I was always afraid I wouldn't be there for them when the throw up sickness hit, but now I know I can and will be there to help. And, though it might seem lame to you, knowing I can do this truly proves I'll be there for them WHENEVER they need me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home