BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Monday, February 08, 2010

The Joy of Cooking

Have you ever stopped to think what a blessing it is to be able to cook? So many people take it for granted, or complain about doing it. Others would rather run out to the closest fast food place or phone in a pizza to be delivered than cook. Don't get me wrong: I'm not perfect. I call in for take out, but everytime I do I feel guilty. Instead of exercising the gift I have to prepare food with love, care, and thought for my family, I have someone who may not have washed their hands after the last time they went to the toilet prepare it for me. Yuck.

My mind's been bombarded with a load of foodie stuff lately. (Don't you just love the inexactitude of "stuff?") I'm reading Julie & Julia, rewatching Jamie's Kitchen, and my student observer is about to have one of my classes compile a cookbook. Pair all of these with the fact that we have a highly at-risk diabetic on our team at school now, and I'm semi-obsessed. We live in a land of plenty where NO ONE should go hungry. If we don't refine and practice our own cooking skills, it's like throwing it in the face of others around this world who are starving.

It doesn't have to be complicated. Take tonight, for instance. Flank steak prepared with a bit of salt and pepper on a stovetop grill, served in a French bread bun with fresh veggies sauteed in olive oil. I made oven chips to go with it, but the sandwich was superb on its own. The whole meal took approximately 35 minutes, and I feel absolutely over-the-moon now. It was tasty, appreciated by husband, and a better use of time than dialing Pizza Hut.

The next time you're reaching for the phone, rummage through the cupboard, look through the fridge, and dig deep into your heart. You'll probably see that everything you need for a simple, homemade meal is right in front of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home