BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Shins


Kendra, Alyssa, and I spent Sunday night with the Shins. While some people are unhappy with the surge in popularity these indie darlings have had (still love you, Jared), I still love them. I can understand if you're a bit sick of "the Garden State song," but I strongly encourage you to check out their newest release, "Wincing the Night Away." It's beautiful.

The concert was ace: great music, chilled out band, and relaxed audience. It was especially wonderful because once the band started the sexist, misogynistic 17 year old boys behind us shut up. According to them all of the chicks in the front row were ugly (for which I apologized to Martin for since he ended up with one of them), and all Asian guys are named Percy (they were upset when the Asian photographer didn't answer to this name).
Apart from their witty banter, the best part was discovering a new Marty (left). Marty Crandall was hilarious: jumping around the stage like a little kid, plucking his bass, and wearing some sweet velcro shoes. He's almost as cool as Marty McFly.

Anyhoo...if you want to view more of Kendra's wonderful front row photos, click here. And, if you want to check out the new Shins album at amazon, click this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Who said that I am unhappy with their surge in popularity? I can't recall ever saying anything close to that. In fact, the newest disc is probably my favorite... and I stated that back in a post on November 2.

The Shins on 5 Acts

Lots of love,
Jared

7:31 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

well, that's what dear jacob told me. i'm so sorry, jared! you're still my favorite indie reviewer. i don't know how i missed that nov. 2 post. ???

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you and Alyssa have become such big Marty fans. He's so much fun every time. I have a special place in my heart for all of The Shinzzles, as you call them. Jesse and Dave are also quite funny, though Dave takes his rockstar part a little too far sometimes. And James (or Jimmy for those of us that have met him) is just amazing. He's the Eddie of the band- the driving force, the soul of the group. The glue, you might even say. I'm so glad you got to come with us. I'll be thinking of you when we're with them at The Ryman on the 9th! YAY!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home