BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Allow Me if I May...

Elvis recorded his first single, "That's Alright Mama," in 1954. He died on this day in 1977. What he did in those 23 small years, may never be duplicated by another solo artist, and the legacy that lives on most certainly can't be duplicated.

People always ask me why I like Elvis so much, and I just shrug. It's hard to put your finger on one thing. Those killer sideburns? Nah. Those hot gold-rimmed sunglasses? Not really. Well, it must be those form-fitting Vegas jump suits? Definitely not. What about that music that makes your feet tap without you even realizing, your heart thump with empathy or joy, and that deep, velvety voice that could also turn falsetto at the drop of a hat? Yep; that's the winner. It's simple, people: Elvis was the one that drove happy, poppy, be-boppy music that so many criticize me for sticking with. He originated it, perfected it, and no one can copy his one of a kind voice, though they constantly try...miserably.

Lennon said it best: "Without Elvis, there would be nothing."

If you're still with me, check out my Elvis Top 10 list below. You'll find it equipped with links to amazon.com to purchase anything you might find interesting.

1. '68 Special: On December 3, 1968, Elvis never looked hotter, and he never sang better. After his string of horrible studio films, this let the masses know he was back. My mommy told me once this was the first time she sat up and really noticed Elvis.
2. Elvis: 2nd to None: I actually prefer this one to "Elvis: 30 #1 Hits." This has all my favorites, like "If I Can Dream" and "Kentucky Rain" that never hit #1. It also has my husband's favorite, "Viva Las Vegas," which we must listen to twice, cause it's too short to listen to just once.
3. Elvis and Me: This gives a gripping, and sometimes hard to take, look into Elvis' personal life with his only wife, Priscilla Beaulieu. Some may find it hard to swallow, but you must read this to know the true behind-the-scenes Elvis. The mini-series is also great, but you have to come see it at my house, since it's not available on DVD or VHS.
4. Elvis: That's the Way It Is: Oh my gosh, there isn't a better Elvis documentary EVER. This one is absolutely awesome, but the original version is no longer available. This is a pity, because there were some real characters interviewed and a performance of "Sweet Caroline" that were spliced from the re-mastered edition. They did insert more concert footage, though.
5. Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley: Peter Guralnick brought Elvis back from the dead for this book. He literally breathes and walks through the pages. Guralnick's writing is superb and eloquent.
6. Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances: No Elvis CD collection is complete without Elvis gospel recordings. I prefer this 2-disc set to the single-disc reissue ("Elvis Ultimate Gospel") that came out in 2004. His voice is so deep and rich on his gospel performances that I dare you not to be moved.
7. If Everyday Was Like Christmas: This is the most comprehensive single disc Christmas Elvis CD out there. I got this one back in 1997 (mine came with a pop-up Graceland at Christmas--awesome!). There have been a lot of Christmas reissues since '97, but I still prefer this one above the rest. (The others have a lot of "alternate" or "B-sides" that aren't that great in quality.)
8. Jailhouse Rock: I think this is Elvis' best acting performance that I've seen. He thought his was in "King Creole," but I still haven't seen it. (Unfortunately, this isn't available new on DVD anymore. You can still purchase it used.)
9. Viva Las Vegas: The chemistry between Elvis and Ann-Margret is undeniable and unforgettable. They look and sound great together, and her screaming fit during "C'Mon Everybody" is the funniest thing ever.
10. Walk a Mile in My Shoes: The Essential 1970's Masters: This is it, folks--the ultimate in 70's Elvis. So many prefer the early Elvis, but I love the way his voice and musical choice matured in the 70's. There are great gospel performances here and all my late faves, "Moody Blue," "Always on My Mind," "An American Trilogy," "I Just Can't Help Believin'", and even a rendition of "Danny Boy." It's worth every cent you'll drop on it.

2 Comments:

Blogger jacob said...

I agree completely. Elvis was, and forever will be, a true legend. I am also awaiting your post on another legend we love to remember this time of year (and today, especially): Madonna! Go on, post about your true blue cassette tapes you still have (oh wait, that's me).

Also, I'd like to see a post in the near future about this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060815/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_copperfield

or just coppertone in general:-)

3:27 PM  
Blogger jacob said...

Dave Copperfield Story

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home