BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Friday, June 01, 2012

Book Club

I've decided I want to join a book club.  I've tried book clubs in the past, but I can never seem to keep up with them.  Well, okay, I'll be honest: I am a book snob.  I don't want to read beach books, serial mysteries (or any other serial in the vein of James Patterson, Janet Evanovich, or the like), or romances.  I want to read Stephen King, Charles Dickens, Kate Hepburn biographies, and stories of people struggling to find their way in cultures too diverse and changing to make up their mind who they want to be/come (White Teeth, New Miss India, Bone, etc).  I also love me some memoirs, especially of the food variety.  Most of all, I love subtle wit.

So, I'm going to form my own book club, and it's going to be so elite that everyone will want to join in.  (Then they'll have to read the books I want to read to hang out with us.)  After watching the 2012 season finale of SNL, I know exactly who to invite, too.  Amy Poehler will bring the funk.  Kristen Wiig will bring the sly, subtle sexual references that keep a conversation going.  Tina Fey and I will create the discussion questions (because we will actually discuss the books).  Jon Hamm, the lone male member, will bring the Pepsi and beer (Coke and wine will NOT be allowed) and classy eats that go along with those bevvies.  (But the first time he mentions the Blues or Cardinals, he'll be asked to leave.)  Finally, my birthday twin, Meg, will help me pick the selections for each month...as long as she's willing to bend to my criteria clearly stated above.

  
Once the group gets some buzz, the six of us will develop a membership application to be filled out online, and we will review these at the end of every meeting.  There will be no membership fee, but you will have swear on a stack of dusty classics to never mention the name Nicholas Sparks. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jo Mama said...

I loves me some serials. I KNOW that the Harry Potter series doesn't count. You and Meg get going. Ready, Steady, Go!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home