BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

DC=History

Well, tomorrow being Independence Day, I feel I should chat a bit about our trip to DC. And, hopefully, no one will misinterpret my wit and think I have a misogynistic husband. ;)

I found myself choked up several times in our nation's Capital... especially so when in the presence of the Vietnam Memorial. Maybe it's because my Uncle Clarkie, who fought in Vietnam, should still be with us and isn't thanks to Agent Orange. Or perhaps it's because it was a war in which so many lives were taken that shouldn't have been. Or maybe it reminds me too much of the senseless fighting we're participating in today with no good excuse. Whatever the reason, or combination of reasons, it left me in mournful tears and with a lump the size of a peach in my throat. The memorial is hauntingly beautiful and simplistic. Even so it's still one of the most moving things I've ever encountered.


I never thought I would enjoy wandering around monuments to wars and presidents, or seeing old crinkly pieces of paper with the words that make up the fabric and foundation of our country, but I really, REALLY liked it! It's almost as if our nation's history actually lives and breathes in DC. The Kennedy Center was also a stunning building, and one in which we got a personal, private tour, thanks to advertising employee, and food connouisser, Jacob. I loved the JFK bust in the main foyer, even though not-misogynistic husband hated it. Arlington National Cemetary was another place where I got a little choked up, especially when gazing upon the tribute to the Challenger crew. That moment in 1986 is still burned in my mind's eye, even though I was only 6 when it happened.

The trip was excellent, but there is still so much more to see in DC! I want to get back to visit the Smithsonian, gaze upon some art, and go back to the Holocaust Museum (the visit was cut short, thanks to an unforseen illness in moi).







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home