BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Great Big Stuff


June 17 will see the return of "Big Love," the only HBO series I've ever put any serious stock in. Sure I've dabbled in the HBO hyper-series (high budget, loads of hype, critic favorties), starting back in the day with "Dream On" and "Tales from the Crypt." The recent slate of HBO favorites have not found a lot of favor with me. I think the hype is too much. I'm sorry (and I'll know many of you will slay me with evil comments), but "The Sopranos" and "Sex and the City" can't possibly live up to the hype that the critics and my friends alike shower upon them. (And, ugh, did you see "Rome?" Blech. What about "Deadwood?" I had no idea men and women in the wild west used the F-word so much.)

But there's something about the story of a polygamist family from Utah that gets to me. I have no idea how or why, but there are few shows in recent memory I've been as invested in. Re-watching "Twin Peaks" and thinking back to "Freaks and Geeks" reminds how good television can be. With "Big Love" I have TV storytelling that is plain and simple to look forward to (unlike the big bams from "24" and LOST). The writing is clean-cut and snappy. Plus the storylines have just enough twists and turns to keep you interested and coming back for more, without making you frustrated (i.e., LOST). If you haven't checked out "Big Love," give it a chance. Rent a couple of discs from the Buster and be pleasantly surprised with yourself when you start sympathizing with the Henricksons' polygamist plight.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also extremely excited about this. I think they picked that day to air b.c of my birthday. Mmm hmm.

Of course I have to disagree with you about HBO and Showtime shows not living up to the hype. The Sopranos is AWESOME. As is Entourage, Sex and the City, Weeds, Dexter, The L Word, Queer as Folk, etc. etc. This is a topic where we must agree to disagree. Though I will say that The Tudors has been utterly disappointing. I'm looking forward to David Duchovny's new show on Showtime this summer, Californication. I find him enjoyable.

10:39 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

The Duchovny is quite enjoyable. Since we've been watching Martin's X-Files DVD's I've definitely earned a new appreciation for him. He was also great in Twin Peaks. The quirkier the Duchov, the better in my opinion. :)

Yeah, I'm a loser. I don't like Entourage either, and well, you saw me when we watched [Mike] Dexter. I bet I would like Weeds, though. I'll have to borrow your DVD's.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Dexter's a god! Mike Dexter's a role model!

Ya know what's a random six degrees of Kevin Bacon about that?
Freddy Rodriguez who delivers the above quote, was on Six Feet Under with the guy who plays Dexter, who's name is escaping me right now.

Actually...now that I think about it- Peter Facinelli, Mike Dexter himself, was on Six Feet Under for a minute as well. Weird. Aren't you glad that I just worked that out while I was typing this to you? I'm good like that.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home