BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

It Doesn't Get Much More Random Than This


Last night I found myself with an overwhelming, inexplicable urge to watch the classic 1983 mini-series "The Thorn Birds." As I said, I have no idea where it came from, but all of a sudden I wanted to be thrown into the world of Father de Briccasart (I spelled that correctly without even consulting Wikipedia!) and Meggie Cleary.

I was three when it originally aired, and thanks to my Auntie Shrew, I fell in love with the painted Richard Chamberlain portrait on the cover of the novel. (Yeah, who knew he was gay anyway? Oh, wait, did you see him in "King Solomon's Mines?" Then you would've known.) Aunt Barb always talked about it, and I had vague memories of seeing bits of it from 1983 (I sometimes have a freakishly good memory). So when it aired on ABC for its 10th anniversary, I was ready! It was on during the summer, so I got to see every night. I was delighted
with the week-long extravaganza!

Oh, the desire! Oh, the sin! I wanted Father Ralph to succumb to his love and lust for Meggie and denounce his priesthood. WHY!?! Why did I want this man of the cloth to give up everything he believed in for this woman? I still don't know. Thinking about it rationally I know it's wrong to root for them to get together, but I still do every time. Oh, when they have that first kiss in the barn after the fire! Such want and need isn't put on celluloid anymore! Richard Chamberlain and Rachel Ward could have set the film on fire! (By the way, her voice is so deep! The first time you hear her speak in episode 2 it just doesn't fit. Meggie's not supposed to talk deeper than Father Ralph. Ah, well.) I love it from beginning to end--yes, even the Mare Winningham parts in between. (She was dreadful as Meggie's only daughter. I didn't like her anymore than Meggie did.)

They just don't make 'em like "The Thorn Birds" anymore. (The theme song was also great! I recently downloaded it from iTunes.) The mini-series on TV now aren't half as sappy, soap opera-y or long. Just promise me to never, ever, NEVER see "The Thorn Birds: The Missing Years." It was absolutely one of THE most dreadful things I ever sat through...or at least through 30 minutes. There's just something about those 80's romance mini-series that makes the chick flick side of me come out. Anyone up for a little "North and South???"

(Oh, Barb, if you're looking for it, I still have that copy of your book. I guess I just don't want to give Father Ralph up without reading it again.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, cousin- how I do love North and South. Smoldering Patrick Swayze, crazy Kirstie Alley, how could it get any better?!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want you to know I'm visiting often,and enjoy BBB! BingBongBoom visitors NEED to see the Village! I agree with your cousin - North&South is a winner, but the all-time best ever (why isn't it ever shown) is ROOTS.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home