BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I Know You Were Curious...


...So here it is! My Top 10 Halloween Movie* List! Don't think this was easy, folks. I had to cut out Van Helsing, Blade, and the Lost Boys. But, the cuts have been made, and here is the final list:

10. Hocus Pocus: Yep. You read it right. That Bette Midler-Sarah Jessica Parker-Kathy Najimi Salem witch trio is tops for kids...and grown-up kids like me. I still remember when I saw it with Cori at the GKC at Country Fair.
9. Scream: What can I say? I still love it, and I can quote it (sad but true). That opening is still tops. And don't you forget that you used to be scared of that mask the first time you saw it.
8. Monster Squad: Although I rave about it, it's a bit too corny and straight-to-videoish to be #1. You should still try to get your hands on it, though!
7. Amityville Horror (remake): C'mon! Have you SEEN the original? Margot Kidder scares me more than the house, and Brolin, though bearded up and fetching, is still crazy AWAY from the house (which doesn't make any sense). I much prefer the freaky Ryan Reynolds vehicle from 2004. (OK, I'll say it: and he's RIPPED.)
6. Sleepy Hollow: Johnny Depp is, well, spectacular as Ichabod Crane. This Tim Burton Halloween masterpiece came out on my birthday in 1999. (Cori, my apologies again for making you go.)
5. The Omen: Love the music; love the devil kid; love the fact that Gregory Peck is in a horror film.
4. The Grudge: I don't care what my brother says: those freaky Asian kids scare the you know what outta me. Don't like it when scary, pasty kids with wide open black mouths pop out of nowhere! Don't like it at all.
3. Shaun of the Dead: FANTASTIC! Even my homie Dave could watch this horror homage and not get scared. It's a laugh a second and top-notch. If you haven't seen it yet, kick yourself. It'll also give you new and exciting ways to utilize a cricket bat.
2. Interview with the Vampire: My favorite demon and my favorite Cruisazy all wrapped into one. I was so excited to hear that Tom Cruise was going to play a vampire when I was in 7th grade that I ran out and bought Anne Rice's novel. I couldn't comprehend it that well, but I was ready when the film dropped a few days before my birthday in 1994. To this day she still apologizes for thinking Cruise couldn't fill the shoes of Lestat; shame on her. (When Scientologists put their minds to it, they can accomplish anything.)
1. Poltergeist (which you alredy know if you paid attention to the above picture): My Auntie Shrew used to let me watch it on HBO when I was little. I would run and hide around the corner. When she would threaten to turn it off, I'd creep back out. It doesn't scare me anymore (OK, except for the stuffed clown bit), but it's probably my favorite Halloween season movie (well, it better be, since I put it at #1).

*Disclaimer=They aren't all about Halloween, but I always watch these during the season. Also, since it's movies, you won't find Charlie Brown...Sorry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home