BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Time to Move On?

As I mentioned twice before, I thought I'd watch the VMA's last night. Well, I was reading a really good book, so I passed. I did, however, set the old VCR (yes, I said VCR) to record the big shoow. I caught the last ten minutes of the pre-show as an added bonus, and I saw two dear, old friends.



Kurt & John. John & Kurt. Kurt Loder has been with MTV since 1988, leaving Rolling Stone to take part in this cutting edge TV/music forum. John Norris has graced the MTV news scene since 1990 (I believe; I can't find a definitive year for that, but I know Jacob can help me). It's comforting for me, and all mine I'm sure, to always tune in to the VMA's, Movie Awards, or an MTV News Special (Katrina last year, for instance), and see my good buddies. But, I'm sure when kids I teach tune in to the VMA's and see these old white guys, they be thinkin', "Who? What? Where's Sway?"

Do I love them? Yes. Should they still be on the MTV? Not sure. I guess I just don't understand why this channel, forever obsessively aimed at the youth market and striving to define youth culture, would keep these two stand-by's standing by. The format of the channel has gone down the drain, as far as I'm concerned (what? videos? that'sa crazy talk!), so maybe that's why they keep them around: for an ounce of validity. On the other hand, I have no idea why they would want to stick around.

When I caught Loder last night he looked so glazed over and pained listening to the overly enthusiastic SuChin Pak that he was ready to pummel her with his cushioned mic. It was actually one of the most awkward things I've ever seen, for you could virtually see the thought bubble popping up from his head, "Die stupid preppy, die." His fake laugh was also rather priceless. Norris, on the other hand, is always a great sport. He'll go where MTV sends him, he'll interview who they want him to, and he'll do it with a smile on his face. Although he has always seemed more upbeat and enthusiastic than Loder, I have to wonder if he's ready to move on. Perhaps both men just want to stick with the station that butters their bread. But I must ask: Is it time for them to move on? You decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home