BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

In My Own Defense




I've gotten quite a bit of guff for making a comparison between Hanson and the Beatles during Dancing with the Stars' Guilty Pleasures week. Allow me, if you will, to come to my own defense.



Hanson has persevered. Many thought them to be a one-hit wonder, and maybe by popular standards they are: a majority of our American, and world, population only recollect their first single, MmmBop. I hate MmmBop. It was a cheesy, kid pop song written by, well, kids. The Brothers Hanson, however, have grown and matured into one of the most reliable and dependable pop song outfits in the business.



Three of their last four albums are in constant iPod rotation: This Time Around, The Walk, and Shout it Out. Their songs are well written, produced, and performed gems of pop wonder. Their tunes are catchy, upbeat, and infectious. Because of this, I compared them to the early Beatles years: they're both a group of young guys performing their hearts out, penning amazing tunes, and entertaining the masses. (Obviously, the Beatles entertained bigger masses than Hanson, because as stated earlier, people won't/can't forget MmmBop.) Both groups come together to create purely joyful uptempo songs and can bring it down with a ballad tightly woven together in delicate harmonies. Did I ever say Hanson would be as iconic as the Beatles? NO. Did I ever say they'd garner the same fanfare and recognition as the Beatles? NO (not even if the brothers lived to be 100). But, I do think one day, the academics of pop will look back on Hanson and realize they were given the short end of the musical stick because of one song they wrote when they were 13.



Hanson is a group of seasoned veterans who have matured past MmmBop 100 times over. If you like really good pop music, not sleeze made from a hit factory, then you should consider checking them out. I have to confess, I haven't enjoyed the mockery my good name has had to endure over the last 24 hours, but I can try to put them behind me now that I have taken time to fully explain my point and opinion.



The defense rests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home