BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Thursday, November 06, 2008

What Can I Say?


"The air smells freer," Galen said Tuesday night, about 11:30 p.m. We had just stepped out of his new house, just a few minutes' walk away, and I couldn't've agreed with him more. My chin was higher, and I felt lighter, like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. You think I'm overly dramatic? I don't think so.

It's been a long, nightmarish eight years. A time in American history that I thought would never see an end. Sure, Jon Stewart got us through it (what will the Daily Show look like now???), but we shouldn't have had to rely on dry wit and lighthearted cynicism to get us through one man's presidency.

Obama should have his picture next to HOPE in the dictionary. Will he be able to deliver everything he promised? Of course not. Will he make everyone happy? I know he won't. But...

Will he inspire those who have lacked inspiration? Yes, he can. Will he give hope to the hopeless? Yes, he can. Will he be open-minded and fair? Yes, he can.

I'm living through history. I thanked God when I woke up yesterday morning that I have lived to see an African-American become president. I thanked God for renewing my faith in this country's voters. I thanked God for my students getting involved in politics. And, I thanked God for the hope that Obama has given me.

3 Comments:

Blogger jacob said...

Yay! I helped, with one vote, make Virginia blue for the first time in 40 years!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been crying since Tuesday and I can't see an end in sight! Its just such an amazing thing I can't even put it into words.
-Alyssa:-)

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely said, Amanda. Barack's true hope is his ability to instill hope.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home