BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Kids are Stupid

So apparently it took Michael Jackson DYING for kids to see any relevance in his work. I know I shouldn't be surprised at anything after teaching middle schoolers for seven (yes, SEVEN) years, but I'm rather floored with their sudden love and appreciation for the King of Pop. Everyday I can see some kid moondancing down the hall, singing one of his songs, or asking me, "Mrs. Mc, did you know Michael Jackson?"

Did I KNOW Michael Jackson!?!?! Um, hello! I was alive in 1983 when his shee blew up on Thriller. I have ALBUMS of his work (that always gets a blank stare--what's an album?) I watched the premiere of "Black and White" on FOX after the Super Bowl in 1991...you still weren't born then.


I guess I love that they can love his music now, but I guess I hate that they act like they discovered him. (See Cori about this pet peeve of mine. Re:Sudden Breakfast Club lovers in my Freshman choir class after seeing it on WGN the night before. Whatever.) And, to conclude, the D.J. played "Thriller" at the 6th grade dance on Friday night. They ALL cheered and stormed the dance floor. Wonder what would've happened at last year's dance if this was played. ???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home