BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Not an April's Fool

I don't like April Fool's Day; it's stupid. (It's especially stupid when you work at a school with immature 6th graders.) Yesterday CBS decided to announce the news that after 72 years of fine, soapy entertainment, Guiding Light will be cancelled.

What's that you say? Why waste precious blogging time on a soon-to-be-defunct soap opera? Well, because it was only one of the first shows I ever watched, that's why. When my grandmother and aunt used to babysit us, I would sneak out of my bed, say I couldn't sleep through my nap, and watch dreamy Philip. I was so jealous of Beth, his GF. Along with Han Solo, Philip was one of my first crushes. I still remember watching the two of them in 1983, when I was only four. (Check out their dramatical timeline HERE.) I even remember keeping his picture on the back of my bedroom door. My dad called him Possum Face, because of his close-together eyes.

I think it's a shame. If we don't have our stories to depend on
, what else can we use to distract from our dismal economic times? OK, OK, so I have other stories now, like Big Love, Smallville, and LOST, but still it's sad to see a show of my formative years go after so many years. RIP, Guiding Light...here's to hoping another network picks you up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home