BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Whatever Happened To...?


This will be the first of four columns I have in mind for my blog. Since I've been on such a Food Network jag, I thought it fitting and proper to start with one of my favorite pre-Food Network chefs: Graham "The Galloping Gourmet" Kerr.

Graham Kerr originally had a syndicated series that ran from 1968-1971, and boy would Ina and Paula have loved him! He used loads of butter, cream, and wine to create ultra rich dishes. He first came to my attention while I was in middle school (probably 1992'ish). I loved watching the PBS cooking shows on the weekend, and after Jeff Smith fell down in a scandalous, unforgivable haze of taking advantage of young male soux chefs, Graham swept in with his blazing knife and just as sharp British wit to renew my faith in cooking shows and their hosts. He was humorous, perhaps a little sauced (hey, wine's good for the heart), and presented healthy alternatives to his old, decadent dishes. My grandmother told me how she remembered watching him back in the day, and she thought it was unusual I got so much joy out of watching the Galloping Gourmet.

Anyway...Graham Kerr, I SALUTE YOU!!! You gave up the cream and butter to escape seasickness on your big boat (and your wife's unfortunate heart attack), but you actually bought a few extra years to affect the early years of my culinary career. (Too bad the Two Fat Ladies didn't get your memo. Make sure Ina and Paula get the message quickly.) Wherever you are today, I hope your dishes are still light, full of flavor, and bursting with the charisma only you could instill in them. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home