BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

When My Two Worlds Collided

To begin...two very simple facts about me: I love Elvis.  I love Robbie Williams.

A third fact that not many know: Robbie Williams loves Elvis.  (Huge Hint #1: His tattoo that begs ELVIS GRANT ME SERENITY.  Huge Hint #2: He's claimed to pray to Elvis before shows to give him guts, though I don't know if that still happens, since the claim was made over a decade ago in the 2002 documentary Nobody Someday.)



The third fact makes the second fact more rigid and fundamental to my musical being.

My two musical worlds--classic, original rock n roll and new, thought-provoking-cynical-snappy pop--collided in 2005 with the release of Mr. Williams' video for his single Advertising Space (off of Intensive Care, which MIGHT be my favorite album from him--though his newest effort, Take the Crown, is making a run for the money).

Robbie's video for the single was a love letter to Elvis: he was an Elvis impersonator playing to an empty house Bingo crowd (which had to have been in Blackpool), trying to kiss a mannequin that resembled Priscilla on Vegas Wedding Day 1967, and ultimately leaving the pub downtrodden and rather defeated...sadly, kind of like the King himself. 



I love this homage Robbie paid to E.  I loved his pompadour, his hip-shakin' moves, and his silk EP monogrammed shirt, gold lame, AND '68 Comeback Special suits.  Rob hit all the right notes to let Elvis fans know that he is in fact one, too.  (He even had a blazing bullet blow out a TV screen!  Classic.) Check out the amazing video...and song...HERE.  



And, why post this now???  Tomorrow is the 36th anniversary of Elvis' passing THAT'S WHY. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jo Mama said...

Well done, daughter!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home