BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

R.I.P.: My Top 10 John Hughes Films

Don't be hatin' if your favorite isn't mine. Let's just celebrate the genius that was John Hughes. He won't get half as much press as Michael Jackson or Farrah Fawcett, but he was just as pop culturally relevant. And, for those of us who grew up in 80's America, he'll be sorely missed. His comedies shaped my young life, and his writing still runs around my head and out my mouth several times a day. He stepped out of Hollywood's glare several years ago, but he still wrote under a pen name, Edmond Dantes.

10. Nate & Hayes--I'll give anyone $10 who's seen this Tommy Lee Jones gem. Husband doesn't count for this one.

9. Christmas Vacation--"Ah, the shitter's full. Have you checked our shitters, honey?"

8. Pretty in Pink--"This is Otis. I love Otis."

7. Great Outdoors--I dare you to eat a 96'er and make it out alive.

6. The Breakfast Club--"You mess with the bull, you get the horns."

5. Vacation--"The ole Miss...the ole man."

4. Mr. Mom--I had a whoobie, too.

3. Uncle Buck--I'm still ticked TNT, TBS, and USA don't show this on Thanksgiving anymore. I used to watch it three times on Thanksgiving back in the day. Cori know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off--"She's in Decatur. Unfortunately, she isn't staying."

"If you had a car like this, would you take it back right away?"

1. Sixteen Candles--

"Where the hell am I?"

"I'll tell you where you are; I can't tell you who you are."

"I'm Farmer Ted."

Now, take a moment to dust off those old VHS's, yes I know you still got 'em, and celebrate the late, great John Hughes. Plan your Hughes Fest tonight, and relive the first time you saw Farmer Ted, watched Ducky dance to Otis, went on a vacation with the Griswolds, or laid eyes on the hottest guy in school, Jake Ryan.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Kendra said...

Crap! I forgot about Mr. Mom! Wah!!!

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Cori said...

-Open the Door!!
~No way! You beat up my face!
-You grabbed my nuts!
~That you?
-Yeah that me.

Most Definitely my fav too!! I can't watch it with others b/c I say the lines too much...I'm sure some people don't like that!

9:04 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

I just realized I left off Home Alone. How the heck did THAT happen??? Me, too, Cori. I think that might be why Martin hates it so much.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Cori said...

A. I noticed you Home Alone off but didn't say anything b/c you had a disclaimer that our likes might not be the same. Didn't want to give you grief over it.
2. I too forgot about Mr. Mom, Kendra. I actually don't even think I knew it was a John Hughes Film.

5:46 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

He penned "Mr. Mom." And, I'm forever grateful he did.

2:30 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

He penned "Mr. Mom." And, I'm forever grateful he did.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home