BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Monday, May 26, 2008

VHS Classics

Who says video is dead? Never mind Blu-ray, HD, or even DVD, cause sometimes VHS still has it goin' on. I've spent the afternoon visiting old friends, and I feel like it's 1995! Yes, I may be one of the only people to hold on to their VHS's, but they've made this Memorial Day fly by...not to mention all that nasty grading I had to finish.


Shallow Grave: The first time I ever saw Ewan McGregor...and from that moment on, I knew I would marry someone Scottish. (My Scotsman is better than him, though.) This film is BRILLIANT, and if you haven't seen it, check it out. It was also the first time McGregor teamed up with the Boyle-Hodge-McDonald team, who also brought you the McGregor classics Trainspotting and Life Less Ordinary.



Hackers: Speaking of first times...Oh, Angelina. Life hasn't been the same since we met. (I wish I could be that hot in high waisted skin tight black denim.) The computer talk in Hackers is now considered high-larious. Jonny Lee Miller (also of Trainspotting fame) helms this film of teenage hackers who are blackmailed by Johnny Five friend Fisher Stevens.




What's Eating Gilbert Grape?: One of the most underrated films of recent film history. This movie is quirky, beautiful, and melancholy all at once. Johnny Depp is trying to flee from his family ties, and his understated performance should have been recognized by Oscar. They did note Leo DiCaprio's fine performance as Arnie, though. And, one more first: John C. Reilly was a standout in this, and I've admired him ever since.


Check out any of these if you haven't seen them. And, I suppose you could rent them on DVD if you wanted. :) But right now, I feel like I've traveled in a time machine that dropped me on my hard wood bedroom floor at 1216.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home