BingBongBoom!!!

A place for anything and everything that comes to mind.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Top 10 Christmas Movies




I won't say it was easy. I won't say it was quick. I won't say it didn't produce blood, sweat, and tears (cause it did, oh, it did). BUT, I've finally done it: I have compiled my list of the Top 10 Christmas Movies ever made ever. Drumroll please...

10. Smoky Mountain Christmas: Dolly Parton, country Christmas songs, a John Ritter cameo, and Phoebe from Monster Squad...a true timeless classic from the good people at ABC.

9. Home Alone: I even admit that I got kind of annoyed with Kevin's screaming, but now when I watch it over again it's great to see Kevin discover the true meaning of Christmas...and hear Daniel Stern's girly scream in the middle of it.

8. Scrooged: Bill Murray + Christmas=why didn't they come up with this before 1988?

7. A Charlie Brown Christmas: Martin says this doesn't count, because it's a 30 minute TV special, but oh, well says I! I still cry when they read out the Christmas story at the end.

6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (movie): Ha! I thought in 1999 when I toured the movie lot with Catherine. Jim Carrey and Ronny Howard doing the Grinch? Pathetic! Um, not really. It's awesomely perfect: the back story they give the Grinch, the Who's makeup, the music, everything! Even Carrey's physical acting was perfect for this gem.
5. One Magic Christmas: One from my youth. I talked about it yesterday, and yes, it still makes me cry.

4. Love Actually:...is all around. A modern-day classic with a one of the greatest ensemble casts ever put together. It is for mature audiences, but once you're of age, even the most cynical Christmas hearts will love it.

3. A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott): Sorry Sims fans, but Patton got it goin' on in my Christmas opinion. A small CBS TV film from 1984 stole my heart as a child, and it's still one of my fave Christmas movies to pull out on Christmas Eve. Plus, I got to meet David Warner in 1999--my favorite Bob Cratchitt (and I think he was chuffed I remembered him for that role).

2. Elf: You knew it was coming! Will Ferrell, smiling is MY favorite, and I do it every time I watch the entire 90 minutes of this holiday classic. I think you made it just for me.

1. It's a Wonderful Life: Nothing will ever compare. George Bailey, you really do have a wonderful life, and thank you for reminding us every Christmas how precious life is. This Capra classic teaches us to be thankful for what we have, and no Christmas Eve would be complete without this reminder.

There it is, folks! I hope you've enjoyed. I do want to give an honorable mention to the Ant & Dec Christmas Special (with special guests Ricky Gervais and Robbie Williams) I mentioned the other day, because it is the best variety show type Christmas special I've ever had the privilege to watch. I don't know if I'll ever get to see that gem again, but I want to start a campaign to get it on DVD. If Tom Jones' Christmas specials are on DVD, this one definitely should be, too...even if there aren't any go-go dancers (or maybe that should read 'especially since there aren't go-go dancers!').

2 Comments:

Blogger hepsmom said...

I did a search for teachers and found your delightful blog. It's very enjoyable. And you are dead on with "It's A Wonderful Life" (Sorry about the quotes, I don't know how to underline or bold in the comment section!). Every year I wait for it to be less than it was the year before, but it's always MORE meaningful!

Cheers, and safe travels to Scotland!

10:23 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

Thanks for reading, hepsmom! You're the first one to read that has not been a friend or family--excellent! I enjoyed your blog, too, but I couldn't find anywhere to post a comment, so I hope you get back here. Come often! Check out my December 2006 archive for more Katherine Hepburn stuff. :)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home